VWTH’s Response to COVID-19
Updated July 13, 2021
Victoria Women’s Transition House – Response to COVID-19
These are stressful and unprecedented times with the impacts of COVID-19 now in our community.
Victoria Women’s Transition House (VWTH) has initiated protocols and actions to address and respond to the situation. We are committed to the health and safety of our clients, staff, volunteers and community and at this time have taken the following immediate measures:
- Considered an essential service, the VWTH Emergency Shelter currently remains open for women and their children fleeing intimate partner violence and abuse. We have added a second shelter location to accommodate more clients, with both shelters requiring mask-wearing and other COVID-19 health and safety procedures in place
- The Community Office is closed to the public with many of our staff and counsellors continuing to work remotely
- Support and phone counselling appointments are available. Please call the Community Office at 250-592-2927, M-F, 9am-4pm, to connect with your counsellor. If you do not have a counsellor, please call the 24-Hour Crisis Line for more details
- The 24-Hour Crisis and Information Line, 250-385-6611, continues to be staffed around the clock not only for women experiencing violence but for anyone who might have questions or concerns about a friend, family member, colleague or neighbour regarding domestic violence and abuse
- Group sessions are proceeding with COVID-19 precautions in place
- Our Volunteer Program will slowly reopen over the summer and fall of 2021
- Physical donations cannot be accepted right now but we thank you for your financial support at this difficult time. Donations can be made on-line via the VWTH website, https://www.transitionhouse.net/ OR by mail: Victoria Women’s Transition House, 100-3060 Cedar Hill Road, Victoria BC V8T 3J5
- Gift cards to support our Emergency Shelter and our vulnerable clients are welcomed in increments of $25 or $50 from Victoria grocery stores and pharmacies. Please mail to our Community Office or contact us for alternative collection – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please monitor our Facebook page and website for further updates
Unfortunately, at times of crisis, the evidence shows an increase in gender-based violence in and out of the home. VWTH is here for women and children in our community needing support, a safety plan and a safe place away from violence and abuse. Our services, although streamlined at this time, remain open and available.
Victoria Women’s Transition House is constantly monitoring developments and will adjust to meet the challenges. Our priority is safety while working to ensure a continuity of service to survivors of violence and abuse.
If you have questions, please reach out to email@example.com
Be well and stay safe,