Become a Board Member
Thank you for your interest in joining our Board of Directors. The 2022 application period is now open. Please here or see below for information about how to submit an Expression of Interest to serve on our Board of Directors.
Are you interested in volunteering as a Board Member for an organization that is committed to supporting women and their right to live a life free of relationship violence and abuse?
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society is a well-established, respected, and successful not-for-profit organization committed to this cause.
We welcome interest from individuals who would like to volunteer on the Board of Directors for a two-year term.
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society works from a feminist perspective. We are committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion on the governing Board. We welcome applications from qualified persons including visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals living with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
Board members are expected to:
- Commit to the objectives and values of the Society, ensuring the Society receives appropriate Board-level support for the effective management and financial health of the organization;
- Regularly attend board meetings, special functions of the Board (as scheduled throughout the year), and participate in Board committees and/or accept project-specific committee assignments;
- Understand and support the Society’s foundational documents, including the constitution, bylaws, mission/vision, and strategic plans;
- Contribute to effective Board governance decision-making and provide a professional level of comment and input whenever required; and
- Build and nurture relationships of trust. Collaborate with other Board members and the organization’s executive team.
Experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Board governance, legal or financial oversight of a not-for-profit entity
- Financial skills and knowledge
- Outreach and advocacy through community, private, and/or public-sector connections
- Volunteer experience with non-profit organizations
- Clinical counselling
- Business knowledge, strategic thinker
- Cross-cultural experience
Applications (including cover letter, resume, and the contact information of three references) are requested by Friday, June 10, 2022. These submissions and general inquiries should be emailed to the attention of the Board Recruitment and Nomination Sub-committee, care of Heidi Gayleard at: email@example.com
Thank you for expressing your interest in being part of the Victoria Women’s Transition House Society.
Application Process Timeline:
- Applications (including cover letter, resume, and three references) are requested by Friday, June 10, 2022.
- The Board Recruitment and Nomination Sub-committee will review submissions and convene interviews by mid-July.
- Nominations will be considered by the Board at its meeting in August 2022, with the plan to confirm new Board appointments at the Society’s AGM scheduled for September 2022.
- Persons with disabilities who require accommodation assistance for the application process are encouraged to contact us. Receiving assistance does not influence the outcome of the application review.
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society envisions a community free of relationship violence and abuse.
Victoria Women’s Transition House Society collaborates, advocates, and educates to address and prevent intimate partner violence and abuse of women and children through supportive shelter, housing, counselling, and other community-based services.