Become a Board Member
Thank you for your interest in joining our Board of Directors. The 2023 application period is now closed. Please click here or see below for information about how to submit an Expression of Interest to serve on our Board of Directors.
Are you interested in volunteering as a Board Member for an organization that is committed to supporting women and their right to live a life free of relationship violence and abuse?
We are excited to welcome individuals who are interested in volunteering for a two-year term on our Board of Directors.
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society works from a feminist perspective. We are committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion on the governing Board. We welcome applications from qualified persons including visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals living with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
Board members are encouraged to:
- Commit to the objectives and values of the Victoria Women’s Transition House Society, providing effective Board-level support to ensure the organization’s success in fulfilling its mission and maintaining its financial health.
- Regularly attend monthly board meetings, special functions of the Board (as scheduled throughout the year), and participate in Board committees and/or accept project-specific committee assignments; to support the work and mission of the organization.
- Understand and support the Society’s foundational documents, including the constitution, bylaws, mission, vision, and strategic plans;
- Contribute to effective Board governance decision-making and provide thoughtful comments and input as needed; and
- Foster relationships of trust by collaborating with other Board members and the organization’s executive team.
Experience in the following areas is preferred:
- Board governance, legal or financial oversight of a not-for-profit
- We are seeking more than one new board member, and a financial background with a CPA qualification is preferred for one of the vacant positions.
- Strong commitment to community service, family service, and volunteer experience, with a service-oriented mindset.
- Critical thinking skills, with a demonstrated ability to approach challenges from a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens.
- Inclusive lived experiences, encompassing individuals from diverse cultural, socio-economic, age, gender, and sexual orientation, religious, and ability backgrounds.
- We encourage candidates with a combination of lived experience, education, training, and/or work experience, recognizing the value of unpaid and unrecognized labor, particularly for individuals with intersectional identities.
Applications (including cover letter, resume, and the contact information of three references) are requested by May 29, 2023. These submissions and general inquiries should be emailed to the attention of the Board Recruitment and Nomination Sub-committee, care of Heidi Gayleard at: email@example.com
Thank you for expressing your interest in being part of the Victoria Women’s Transition House Society.
Application Process Timeline:
- Applications have now closed
- The Board Recruitment and Nomination Sub-committee will review submissions and convene interviews by mid-July
- Nominations will be considered by the Board at its meeting in August 2023, with the plan to confirm new Board appointments at the Society’s AGM scheduled for September 2023.
- Persons with disabilities who require accommodation assistance for the application process are encouraged to contact Receiving assistance does not influence the outcome of the application review.
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society envisions a community free of relationship violence and abuse.
Victoria Women’s Transition House Society collaborates, advocates, and educates to address and prevent intimate partner violence and abuse of women and children through supportive shelter, housing, counselling, and other community-based services.