Become a Board Member
Board Member of the Victoria Women’s Transition House Society
Are you interested in volunteering as a Board Member for an organization that is committed to supporting women and their right to live a life free of relationship violence and abuse?
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society is a well-established, respected and successful not-for-profit organization committed to this cause.
Expressions of interest are requested from individuals who would like to volunteer on the Board of Directors for a two-year term.
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society works from a feminist perspective. We are committed to upholding the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion on the governing Board. We welcome applications from qualified persons including visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, individuals living with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity, and all people committed to meaningful work that makes a difference.
Board members are expected to:
- Commit to the objectives and values of the Society, ensuring the Society receives appropriate Board-level support for the effective management and financial health of the organization;
- Regularly attend board meetings, special functions of the Board (as scheduled through the year), and participate in Board committees and/or accept project-specific committee assignments;
- Understand and support the Society’s foundational documents, including the constitution, bylaws, mission/vision and strategic plans;
- Contribute to effective Board governance decision-making and provide a professional level of comment and input whenever required; and
- Build and nurture relationships of trust. Collaborate with other Board members and the organization’s executive team.
Successful candidates will bring the following:
- Board governance and fiduciary oversight of a not-for-profit entity required and;
Knowledge and experience to the Board in one or more of the following areas:
- Financial skills and knowledge
- Outreach and advocacy through private and public-sector connections.
- Entrepreneur with strong business acumen
- Media communications, social media expertise.
- Fundraising experience
- Strategic thinker
Expressions of Interest (including cover letter, resume, and the contact information of three references) are requested by Friday, June 18, 2021. These submissions and general inquiries should be emailed to the attention of the Board Recruitment and Nomination Sub-committee, care of Heidi Gayleard at: email@example.com
Thank you for expressing your interest in being part of the Victoria Women’s Transition House Society.
Application Process Timeline:
- Expressions of Interest (including cover letter, resume, and three references) are requested by Friday, June 18, 2021.
- The Board Recruitment and Nomination Sub-committee will review submissions and convene interviews by mid-July.
- Nominations will be considered by the Board at its meeting in August, 2021, with the plan to confirm new Board appointments at the Society’s AGM scheduled for September 2021.
- Persons with disabilities who require accommodation assistance for the application process are encouraged to contact us. Receiving assistance does not influence the outcome of the application review.
The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society envisions a community free of relationship violence and abuse.
Victoria Women’s Transition House Society collaborates, advocates, and educates to address and prevent intimate partner violence and abuse of women and children through supportive shelter, housing, counselling, and other community-based services.