Victoria Women’s Transition House – Response to COVID-19
These are stressful and unprecedented times with the impacts of COVID-19 now in our community.
Victoria Women’s Transition House (VWTH) has initiated protocols and actions to address and respond to the situation. We are committed to the health and safety of our clients, staff, volunteers and community and at this time have taken the following immediate measures:
- With heightened screening and strict sanitation procedures, the Emergency Shelter and Extended Shelter Program currently remains open for women and their children fleeing intimate partner violence and abuse
- The Community Office is closed to the public and our staff and counsellors are working remotely
- Support and phone counselling appointments are available. Clients can contact their counsellor directly or through the Community Office, 250-592-2927, M-F, 9 am-4 pm
- The 24-Hour Crisis and Information Line, 250-385-6611, continues to be staffed around the clock not only for women experiencing violence but for anyone who might have questions or concerns about a friend, family member, colleague or neighbour regarding domestic violence and abuse
- Group sessions are taking place over video conference
- Our Volunteer Program is on hold (applications are still being accepted)
- Physical donations cannot be accepted right now but we thank you for your financial support at this difficult time. Donations can be made online via our website OR by mail: Victoria Women’s Transition House, 100-3060 Cedar Hill Road, Victoria BC V8T 3J5
- Gift cards to support our Emergency Shelter and our vulnerable clients are welcomed in increments of $25 or $50 from Victoria grocery stores and pharmacies. Please mail to our Community Office or contact us for alternative collection – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please monitor our Facebook page and website for further updates
Unfortunately, at times of crisis, the evidence shows an increase in gender-based violence in and out of the home. VWTH is here for women and children in our community needing support, a safety plan and a safe place away from violence and abuse. Our services, although streamlined at this time, remain open and available.
Victoria Women’s Transition House is constantly monitoring developments and will adjust to meet the challenges. Our priority is safety while working to ensure a continuity of service to survivors of violence and abuse.
If you have questions, please reach out to email@example.com
Be well and stay safe,